Tuesday, June 5, 2012

set backs, and steps forward

Right before I left for the Acadia Climbing trip on Memorial Day weekend I had my fourth follow-up visit with my new GI. It was disappointing, because I had been experiencing a resurgence of symptoms and we made two decisions: the first was to go back to a higher dose of prednisone and to lengthen the weaning off period, so that instead of 10 days between dropping dosage I will stay at each dosage for 14 days; the second was to start a the more aggressive level of long-term management medications.

(… yikes, is this really what my life, and my blog has become about…????)

At that time I also made a commitment to fully follow the diet recommendations; which up until that point I had been sort of, loosely obeying. Except for the part about not drinking alcohol, which I had decided to completely ignore… well, wait, I did cut back. A little. So for the past week and half I’ve been a carb loading, fiber avoiding, supplement taking, probiotic consuming, teetotaler.

Now, normally, I’m a glass of wine a nite kind of girl. Usually at this time of the school year I’m a two glasses of wine a nite kind of girl. (Countdown to summer vacation is on, but there’s just so much to do to get there.) I miss the variety of fruits and veggies and nuts in my diet, a lot, but I miss the wine (and sometimes gin) more. I’ve been to birthday parties, barbecues, and bars with friends all without consuming a drop. It’s taken a bit of self-restraint.

But you know what? Something is working.  I can’t say for sure if it’s one of the above, or the grand combination of all of the above factors, but it’s working.

My symptoms aren’t gone, but they are vastly improved. Right now the prednisone side-effects are more prevalent than the Crohn’s symptoms.  I feel almost… normal. For the first time in weeks my body is craving exercise.

I pulled out one of my home work out videos this weekend, and settled on an ab blast routine. Let me tell you… my abs have been the last thing that I have wanted to exercise, look at, think about in past few weeks. But prior to the Crohn’s diagnosis I was pretty damn proud to be rocking a four-pack. A result of the combination of core strength from climbing and my love of pilates mat work. So… two months ago I was completing the at home routine utilizing the modifications to make it harder (adding weights, straighter legs, etc.). Saturday I followed along with the ‘easy’ modifications, and I struggled to finish. But finish I did.

Now if I could only actually get myself to a yoga class…

No comments:

Post a Comment